Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Old U2

What's your favorite era of U2? Achtung Baby seems to real turning point in their career, when they followed up one of the most classic albums ever made (with a film project thrown in between) and catapulted themselves into the stratosphere. Before that however they were a slick, pop-punk-ish quartet that stormed onto the musical scene with a series of aggressive yet anthemic tunes that audiences all over the world couldn't resist. I'm constantly going back and forth between these periods and although I LOVE the 90s-forward material I always enjoy the renewal from digging out their earlier stuff.

Old hits seem come and revisit you just when you may have forgotten about them. I've been playing October over the last few days after hearing "Gloria" while, I shit you not, riding a conveyor-belt transport through the inside of a ski mountain in Alta, Utah.
Great effing record. This week at least, I'm going with Old U2.
In Te Domine.

2 comments:

Repo Man said...

Never saw that vid...stellar.

Like A Song. War

Out of Control, The Electric Co. Boy

You covered October.

The best, for me might be, A Sort of Homecoming of Wide Awake in America (EP).

Will Farnan said...

yes sir! love that EP, what a great version of BAD as well.