Monday, May 28, 2007

JJ Grey and Mofro

FINALLY: Well here we are folks, Memorial Day weekend 2007, and it took this long for me to find the first truly incredible album of the year. JJ Grey and Mofro, self-described as "front-porch soul", flew under my radar thus far but over this week I'd heard some songs from their current album Country Ghetto and am loving what I'm hearing. I think "The Sun Is Shining Down" could be one of the best things I've heard in a while, and there's many other gems here including the self-titled track and the solemnly grooved "Goodbye".
Upon review it seems these guys have been around for a while and are getting props from bigs such as the Allman Brothers who have them opening some of their summer tour.
Check out a sample and do yourself a favor: buy this record.


No comments: