Tuesday, April 1, 2008

R.E.M. - New Album Drop Today

Have to say I've always enjoyed R.E.M.
If you think about what makes an artist truly classic, the consistent output of great material is among the chief criteria, and they've always had at least a couple great songs on every album they've made. Beyond that they simply deserve props for the longevity and for keeping themselves together for over 20 years.

I'd been noticing a lot of press on the new album, ACCELERATE, and as I started listening it appears they've haven't lost steam. The 1st single "Supernatural Superserious" is wicked combination of pop and rock, something they've always excelled at. Radio stations would have loved this kind of song back in the 90's, but now I'm not sure where you'll hear it if you're not online.
A strong recommend here. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Repo Man said...

Ah this band...used to be fave in high school...you know the type. Aside from classic rock digging, there wasn't much going on in late 80's up to 90 (and off to college).
In high school, there was metalheads, goth(smiths, cure,...), and well, that's about it. Anyway, here is my take on their stuff. And it still rocks, even though someone ripped off most of my CDs in my frat house (Motherf***er).

I always digged the "jingle-jangle" alt-country vibe. For a weird, little gay guy...the only current singer who can go country on a dime, do it for real...and i don't mind it.

Deep Cuts:
Sitting Still - Murmur
7 chinese brothers - Reckoning
Life and How to Live It - Fables
I believe - Lifes Rich Pageant
Finest Worksong - Document
Dead Letter Office - For B sides, this is very, very good
Turn you inside out - Green
Me in Honey- Out of time
Try not to breathe - Automatic for the people

Never listened to: new adv in hi-fi, Up, or Reveal.

Why? Dunno. College, life,...somehow R.E.M. just became irrelevent...maybe it was them.

Got the new album...pleasantly surprised. It is an album...better than most things these days. Of course, Mike gets political...but at least he's saying something.

Love Buck's guitar, as always. Mills b/g vocals solid.

I'll keep my light on for rem, as I continue to hunt whoever stole my CDs.